Tuesday, February 12, 2008

OCEAN

And now:
it is easy to forget
what I came for

among so many who have always
lived here

swaying their gilded fans
between the bright blue-green reefs

and,
besides,
down here,

you breathe differently.

I came to explore the wreck.

I came to see the damage that was done
and seek the treasures that prevail.

I came for the wreck
and not the story of the wreck;

for the drowned faces hiding
away from the oozing sun:
the evidence of damage.

This is the place.

And I am here,
And I have company:
the mermaid whose dark hair
blackens the stream.

We shall circle silently
about the wreck,
the bodies and all
and quite unseen,
one dark day,

dive headlong to the trove-hold deep.




3 comments:

Anamika said...

"There shall be no betrayals, no letters returned unread,
no frenzy, no hurled words of permanent humiliation;"

i luved these lines....
grt readings u have in ur blog arunchetta...

Anamika said...

"it is hard, for me, to have a profile that hangs without the author inside, just as being a mask that needs to have a face inside, to become a mask. i create this blog - one of my first attempts to create masks of ingenuity- so as to feel the vacuum the mask holds; and to pat it out by just belonging to it."


WOW!!

mazha said...

this is the one i like most arunettaa...
my words won't suffice to tell you how much i liked it..and the usual compliments are avoided as it is not needed for such a good work. it congratulates itself, appreciates itself..an outer element is quite unnecessary!!!